In the course of a few short months, COVID-19 has forever altered our daily life and work, the aftereffects of which will be felt for a long time to come. Many UChicago alumni are faced with an uncertain professional landscape. Many businesses and employees have made drastic changes either to meet immediate needs related to the novel coronavirus or just to stay afloat.
So, we've turned to some of our creative, innovative, and successful alumni career coaches to share their helpful, inspiring, and actionable advice for those facing a world of uncertainty:
Alumni Career Programs
About Our Contributors:
Michelle Antonio, MBA '97
- Helping business professionals think through a potential career change and defining their longer-term career goals
- Guiding alumni that want to improve their job search execution skills (e.g., networking, developing a job search plan, interview skills)
David Brendel, PhD'99
- Executive coaching (works with managers and C-suite executives across a wide range of industries including biotech, pharma, healthcare, law, financial services, technology, engineering, higher education, manufacturing, and others)
- Leadership development (coaching and training individuals transitioning to new strategic roles that require a new skill set, including strategic thinking, executive presence, effective verbal and nonverbal communication)
- Career coaching (assisting clients to make effective career transitions that draw on their core strengths and enhance their quality of life)
- Executive coaching certification program (co-leads a coach training program that certifies individuals through the Center for Executive Coaching and puts them on a path toward certification from the International Coach Federation)
- Philosophical counseling (structured dialogues with clients that helps clarify client values and worldview, enhance self-awareness, and use this knowledge to grow clients' personal and professional lives)
Mimi Darmstadter, AM'90
- Leadership around and management of employee life cycle issues (recruitment, onboarding, performance management, individual development and planning, workforce engagement)
- Emotional intelligence
- Verbal communication skills (with an emphasis on effective, generative conversations)
- Difficult conversations
- Career transitions for seasoned professionals (with an emphasis on vision, value proposition, leveraging professional strengths)
- Work/life integration (with an emphasis on the working mother client population)
- Stress management
Gail Golden, AB'73
- Executive Development: We design and deliver leadership programs to help you achieve your goals.
- Team Development: We facilitate and accelerate team building and new leader integration.
- Organizational Development: We help define and design organizational structures that cultivate success.
- Board Development: We help companies identify and assess leadership challenges and opportunities.
Caroline Ouwerkerk, AB'09
- Career coaching for young professionals, 2-12 years out of college
- Navigating feeling unfulfilled or stuck in your "good" job
- Career discernment/figuring out your next step
- Navigating self-employment/entrepreneurship
- Nonprofit/mission-based/social entrepreneurship job search
- Leadership training/development
- Life design
- Career design/exploration
- Interview preparation and mock interviews
- LinkedIn Strategy
- Resume and cover letter review and development
- Managing imposter syndrome/career confidence