The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank distributes food and other essentials to children, seniors, families, and others in need. Community support enables the Food Bank to serve more than 300,000 people on a monthly basis. Their mission is to mobilize resources to fight hunger in our community; to fulfill this mission, they:
- source and acquire food and other products and distribute them to needy people through charitable agencies or directly through programs;
- conduct hunger education and awareness campaigns and advocate for public policies that alleviate hunger; and
- energize the community to get involved and support hunger relief.
The Food Bank collects food from hundreds of resources, which - with the help of 30,000 volunteers annually - it distributes through a network of more than 625 partner agencies. Ninety-seven percent of revenue raised goes directly to programs. Their efficiency and effectiveness led the LA Business Journal to name the Food Bank as the "Nonprofit Organization of the Year" among large local organizations in 2013.
Without volunteers, the Food Bank would not be able to provide food for thousands of hungry people every week. Get your holiday season off to a laudable start by joining the University of Chicago Alumni Club of Los Angeles and help us sort, inspect, and repackage donated food items from local food drives before they're distributed to those in need.
Extend an invitation to service-oriented friends, family, co-workers, etc. to join us for this volunteer event; send a copy of this event link to them - https://la.uchicagoalumni.org/article.html?aid=606!
- Minimum age requirement is 14; NO exceptions
- All volunteers must wear closed-toe/closed-heel shoes
- Wear a long-sleeve t-shirt or bring a light jacket / sweatshirt in case we are assigned to a refrigerated area
- Parking is available on site (and there is street parking nearby), but parking spaces are limited, so CARPOOLING (or Uber/Lyft) IS ENCOURAGED
Upon completing your registration, you will receive an email confirmation from the Food Bank with all the logistics and forms. (If you do not receive the email confirmation, please check your spam/junk folder.) Please print & complete the requisite paperwork (volunteer e-ticket, release form) in advance of the event.
After our volunteer shift has ended for the morning - it will end by noon at the latest - those interested in going out for lunch afterwards will re-group at an eatery/tavern TBD.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
NOTE: REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Advance registration via the custom Food Bank URL above is mandatory. Use the password CHICAGO10 (which is case-sensitive).
Saturday, 11/10/18 at 8:30am - 12:00pm | iCal
Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
1734 E. 41st St.
Los Angeles, California 90058 United States
[ Get Directions ]
Dante A. Bacani, AB'90